Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: switching to slo-mo in mid shot

  1. #1
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On my camera there is a slow motion button
    which is made to be pressed while shooting
    at a standard frame rate. (my camera has 9,
    18 and 24 fps). I think the slo-mo speed
    is 54 since that seems to be the standard
    on other cameras.

    My question is if I switch from 18 fps to
    slow motion how should I set my exposure?

    I am thinking of leaving it on auto although
    my experience is the auto setting is one stop
    off when I shoot tri-x. The shot involves a
    baseball player 18fps as he steps up to the
    plate. 54 when he raises the bat and prepares to swing then back to 18 for the actual swing.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Shoot him different times at bat and combine in post. Change camera angles between shots. Use one setting for each shot. Or, adjust the asa setting to compensate for the difference in the light meter.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What camera do you have?
    There is no standard slo-mo speed.
    Many cameras are different.
    I think you will only be able to do this using auto-metering on a S8 camera.
    Many cameras have a "under or over" exposure feature, meaning, you can still have your camera set to auto, but you can set the camera to over or underexpose.

    Matt Pacini

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dr.sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2002
    Posts
    48
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've done this very trick. On my Nizo, which has a 54 fps button, I tried this with a tennis player--switching to slo mo mid-serve. It came out OK in the autoexposure mode with Plus X (asa 50?) film. I did notice a slight change in exposure though, with the slomo part slightly under-exposed, which is what you might expect with such a fast shutter speed.

    It's a pretty cool effect, though.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've got a Bell & Howell MS 45. Sadly I don't have
    a manual so I have no information on the the frame
    rate for the slow motion button. I guess it is
    either 36 or 54 fps. I am sure the button is made
    to be used in mid shot because its positioned on
    the camera in a handy spot that can be easily
    found on the fly. Where as rates for 9, 18 & 24
    fps are on a seperate switch. I'll have to try
    it in auto and see how it works out. It would be
    a cool effect to add to my bag of tricks if it
    exposes o.k.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My Sankyo 660 caught a crow taking off by switching from 18 to 36fps and worked perfectly. Just do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •